Tallest Giraffe Productions

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Why filmmaking?

I come to this from loving film and music from way back, and just recently deciding I want to put them together. I also was writing stories about rock bands but there is this artificial divide where the only subject was them, the bands, and I kept feeling that there were stories on both sides that weren't getting traded because of this sort of hierarchical treatment of reporter and subject.

So when I read about that beastie boys movie where they handed people cameras and patched all their shots together to make a film I thought that was a great idea. Only I'd want to do it not just while the band was playing but before the show -- follow a bunch of women who are going together, or a guy who wanders in off the street or people from this board. Because I think there's something about reversing the flow a little to balance things out between band and audience, something that brings something from the people who are most moved by the band's music back to the band.

And it could turn out silly or weird or annoying if people just get all skittish on camera -- or people might get used to the cameras sometimes and say interesting things. As far as I can see, Gomez and their fans are my tribe, often the kind of people who share some random love of music and expression and shared experience, and I have a love for the idea of showing how positive some of that influence and energy is in people's lives. Like my own, for example. I feel some days like I'm living a dream. Makes me want to spread that around. And Gomez seem to keep making the best possible soundtrack for all this, don't they?

So what's on your mind?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home